JOB TITLE: Shift Leader
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
SUPERVISION: Reports to the Plant Manager
The production shift leader position is responsible for mentoring and leading production employees in a manufacturing environment. This position plans and assigns work, implements policies and procedures and recommends improvements in equipment, procedures and working conditions. The ability to manage a fast-paced environment where safety, quality, and productivity are key competencies, is required. This role is a safety sensitive position and is subject to an increased frequency of random drug testing and stricter safety requirements. Morcon is a team-oriented environment where respect, responsibility, creativity, and reliability is mandatory.
- Adhere to all Morcon safety policies and procedures
- Balance safety, quality, productivity, cost, and morale to achieve positive results and continuous improvement in all areas.
- Adhere to all directions from Site Leadership
- Manage department priorities
- Provide leadership and management for successful shift operation
- Manage departmental performance measures, including visual controls
- Provide regular progress reports to manager, utilizing production standards
- Effective employee relations
- Work with Site Leadership to provide employee coaching and development
- Conduct annual performance reviews
- Assist in employment decisions
- Use mediation skills to resolve conflict with employees and co-workers
- Administrative Items
- Work with Machine Operators to track production and downtime
- SAGE Production Entry and other transactions as needed
- Bill of Lading execution as needed
- Track absenteeism and timekeeping, ADP as required and work closely with HR
- Perform accident, near miss, and other investigations as needed
- Record and submit accurate work order data and parts usage using the CMMS system as needed
- Responsible for housekeeping at daily shift exchange and coordinated Best Practices
- Operate equipment as needed
- Performs other duties as required
This position is part of the operations team. The shift leader is responsible for providing support to ensure the safe and effective operation of the production facility. Qualified candidates will possess the following knowledge and skills:
- Flexibility to work any shift in a 24/7 manufacturing operation
- Process driven, to gain consistent results
- Must be energetic with a positive attitude Knowledge and understanding of preventive maintenance concepts
- Ability to troubleshoot mechanical issues on converting equipment
- Proficiency in normal industrial tools for repair purposes
- Ability to perform adjustments of mechanical systems including pneumatics, hydraulics, bearings, seals, gears, chains, sprockets, and appropriate lubrication of mechanical systems
- Ability to interpret results from rounds and inspections to ensure appropriate repairs are planned and executed
The ideal shift leader will have strong written and oral communication skills. They will be able to apply their critical thinking skills to:
- Raise vital questions and problems to formulate them clearly and precisely
- Gather and assess data and information and interpret it effectively
- Come to well-reasoned solutions, testing them against relevant criteria and standards
- Think open-minded about alternatives while recognizing and assessing the assumptions, implications and practical consequences
- Communicate effectively with others in figuring out solutions to complex problems.
This role requires strong leadership, communication, and performance management skills. Additional qualifications are as follows:
- Strong attention to detail and critical thinking abilities
- Must be safety focused
- Must be highly motivated with the ability to work independently or as a team
- Ability to communicate effectively in a diverse work environment
- OJT Certifications on priority assets
- Fork Lift certification
- OSHA 30 Hour Certification
- Electrical knowledge is a plus
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 35 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud. Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment as assigned, is required.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performance by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. With my signature below, I attest that I can perform the essential functions of the job without any accommodation.
How to Apply:
- Download our job application.
- Fill out the application and save it to your computer.
- Upload the completed application along with your resume using the form below.
Apply Online Now
"*" indicates required fields