Global Handwashing Day is celebrated each year on October 15th to increase awareness and understanding of the health benefits of washing your hands with soap.
Why should we wash our hands?
Hand hygiene is such a simple process that is typically overlooked. The importance of handwashing with soap cannot be overstressed. It is the best and most inexpensive defense against bacteria and germs to prevent dangerous illnesses. Hands are one of the most common pathways of germ transmission. Washing your hands is especially important during key times such as after using the restroom or before preparing food. Keeping hands clean is an important way to not only keep food safe but also prevent disease and help children grow up healthy and happy.
According to the CDC’s website, educating people and communities can:
- Reduce the number of people who get sick with diarrhea by about 23-40%
- Reduce diarrheal illness in people with HIV by about 58%
- Reduce respiratory illnesses, like colds, in the general population by about 16-21%
How do we wash our hands?
Washing your hands with soap is great, but doing it correctly is even better! Properly washing your hands takes as long as singing “Happy Birthday” twice. See the images below to better understand the best hand washing techniques to implement into your everyday routine – while singing the Happy Birthday” song!
- Wet your hands
- Apply soap and rub palms together
- Spread the lather on the back of your hands
- Make sure the soap gets in between all fingers
- Grip your fingers on each hand
- Pay attention to your thumbs
- Press fingertips into the palm of each hand
- Dry thoroughly with a towel (not an air dryer) – This is where Morcon can help!
What else can be done to make the most of Global Handwashing Day?
The Global Handwashing Day organization developed this international holiday to increase awareness and understanding about the importance of handwashing with soap.
Morcon Tissue also understands how important clean hands are! We encourage you to stay healthy by washing your hands with soap drying with paper towels. Read more about why you should incorporate towels into your hand washing routine instead of air dryers. Happy Handwashing!
Follow the link for a full guide of Morcon’s paper towel lines and product dispensers.